Name: API MELAFIX Freshwater Fish Bacterial Infection Remedy
Owners: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals
Overall Rank: 93 out of 100
Melafix Fish Remedy is an all-natural antibacterial treatment that works to heal bacterial infections in fish. The secret sauce is in a botanical extract derived from the Australian tea tree. It claims to treat all of these conditions but does it hold up to them. We will find out in this API Melafix Antibacterial Fish Remedy review.
The purpose of Melafix Fish Treatment is to take care of sick fish if they have:
- Open wounds
- Tail rot
- Mouth fungus
- Eye cloud
Use In Treating Open Wounds
What are open wounds?
An open wound in your koi or other fish is an actual physical break in the skin. This is just what happens sometimes. Accidents happen and your poor fish injure themselves. It can happen for the following reasons and many others:
- Getting injured by a stick sitting at the bottom of the pond
- Getting banged around in a pond or tank during mating season
- While flashing-a quick, jerky movement where koi bash or rub themselves against a substrate, plants, and other surfaces and make an instant flash of light in the process.
- Injuries from predators.
The ingredients in the Melafix product have a proven track record for healing people’s skin. If you look up Australian tea tree oil you find it can be used by people to get smooth skin, a healthy scalp, and can be put into your regular shampoo to moisturize and condition your hair. Guess what? It is just as healthy for your bettas, koi, goldfish, and marine fish as it is for people.
Not Just For The Skin Though
This tree oil is very versatile in its uses:
- 2 cups of water + 2 tsp. of tea tree oil + 16 oz. glass spray bottle=the best mold killer on the market.
- 1-2 tsp. of this oil in that same spray bottle can also act as an efficient household cleanser.
- Aromatherapy. Its health qualities make it a great oil to diffuse around the house
And I believe you can add antibacterial fish healer to its series of accolades
—because Australian tea tree oil is a major ingredient in the Melafix formula. Using Melafix for fish with bacterial infections really assists in the koi recovery. Cool right?
The Treatment of Abrasions
Melafix antibacterial remedy helps in the treatment of abrasions and scratches too. These are the minor scrapes and scratches that normally happen and the deeper cuts as well. Don’t forget that, if left untreated, these currently minor cuts eventually lead to infections. Let them go for too long and you might have a dead fish. No one wants that, do we?
Fin/Tail Rot Remedy
This is an all-too-common problem for fish too. Fin rot means the tail or the rays of the fish are rotting or fraying and Melafix is designed to handle this by dealing with the bacteria itself. Bacteria is the source of this rotting and getting rid of the source will get rid of the problem. This fish fin rot treatment does its job once again.
Eye Cloud Cure
This is commonly referred to as Popeye disease. The fancy medical term for it is exophthalmia. This happens by the eye of your pet fish swelling up and protruding abnormally from its socket. This can occur due to many diseases in koi and other fish.
The eyes may appear cloudy(hence the name) or in some instances, they may be clear with the only evidence of something being amiss is the obvious swelling of the eye. And it’s awesome that this has a bacterial culprit and can be cured with this formula
As a Healer Of Mouth Fungus
Bad water quality is often the perpetrator that causes mouth fungus. I should point out that all the ailments discussed above usually have origins in having low-quality water problems. You need to have your water filtered properly and aerated to give your fish a cozy home anyway. With that problem addressed. Melafix will do the rest.
Melafix Antibacterial Fish Remedy acts like fish first aid.
Here’s one glowing testimonial from a happy Amazon customer.
Melafix Antibacterial Remedy On Amazon
What you get:
- In this case, a 16 oz bottle of API Melafix Freshwater Fish Bacterial Infection Remedy
What it does:
- Heals bacterial infections
- Repairs damaged fins, as long as it isn’t too far progressed
- Heals ulcers and open wounds
- Help treat new additions to your pond and prevents the disease from breaking out in freshwater aquariums.
Melafix contains a natural, botanical tea tree oil that quickly helps fish. For the best results, use daily for a week when treating infections and 3 days for preventive measures on new fish additions.
I will tell you that I am not a vet but have seen and heard real proof that this is good medicine for your swimming pet. On Amazon, API has a nice Pictograph showing all the bacterial baddies that can be healed in conjunction with some of their other products. Sometimes another medication is needed like in the case of ich. Also sometimes, like in case of fungal infection, they recommend API PIMAFIX for that.
How Do You Use Melafix Antibacterial Product?
- Add 5 ml per every 10 gallons of water
- Perform this for 7 straight days
- After day 7, perform a 25% water change to your aquarium or pond
Done…Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
- Can be used in both freshwater and marine environments
- Takes care of a lot of different bacterial ailments and problems
- It is an all-natural product and will not harm other young fish(fry), loaches, plant life, plecos, or the other currently healthy fish around it
- Has a decent 4.5 out of 5-star rating at Amazon
- They do accept returns of the product if you’re not satisfied
- Like many cool things that I discussed that it does, it is not a miracle worker. You still have to do your utmost diligence in keeping your water quality at a healthy level. Checking the ponds pH level, keeping the filter running well, and having proper water aeration will only help you in ensuring your pond is the greatest pond you can make it.
- Most of the Amazon customers are happy, but there were a few unhappy and claims that adding the Melafix solution in is what killed their fish. This is probably due to other problematic conditions that existed from the start, but I couldn’t just leave these unhappy customers out in my review.
Regarding the unhappy customers above, they claimed that their fish died and blamed the tea tree oil for finally doing their fish in. Keep in mind that this is an all-natural product that 95% of other people said it wouldn’t harm a flee.
In this regard, I have to give props to the customer service department for handling these complaints like a BOSS. They showed a very professional calm about the whole thing. I have included one of their responses below
API MELAFIX Price
The price of MELAFIX is very reasonable in my opinion at $9.53 and is the 16 oz bottle. There are 8 and even cheaper 4-ounce bottles. The sizes available on Amazon are:
My Final Opinion of Melafix
This product seems to legitimately get rid of many bacterial ailments in fish. The fact that it works with marine fish is also pretty neat. I could not find very much to complain about in Melafix except for the few complainers above. The great star rating from Amazon goes to show plenty about the quality of this product. Feel free to tell me what you think of it. Do you have any experience with this product? Leave me your own review of it below.
When you click on links from koipondinfo.com and buy something from this website, I may receive an affiliate commission. These are my opinions and are not representative of the companies that create these products. My reviews are based on my personal own experience and research. I never recommend poor-quality products or create false reviews to make sales. It is my intention to explain products so you can make an informed decision on which ones suit your needs best. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full Disclosure.
Melafix Antibacterial Remedy at a Glance…
Owners: MARS FISHCARE NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Overall Scam Rank: 93 out of 100
API MELAFIX Freshwater Fish Bacterial Infection Remedy$9.53
- Can be used in both freshwater and marine environments
- It is an all-natural product and not harmful to other living things
- They accept returns of the product if you're not satisfied
- Not a miracle fix. You still have to do pond maintenance to keep your fish healthy
- A Few Amazon Customers Think It Killed Their Fish Instead Of Healing Them